Monday 18 June 2012

Why Brakeless?

I set to on my bike yesterday and removed the brakes again, why? Because I actually feel it makes me a better rider. I went back to where I filmed my brakeless vid on the Zoot the other day and tried some of the same lines and found myself relying on the brakes to get up rocks and stay up, which also meant a lot of the time I didn't make it as I was putting in less effort. When you've got no brakes you've got to put in that bit more, just to make sure cause there's no contingency plan, no lifeline there to hold you on the edge whilst you give it another little hop.
I'll be the first to admit that although partly because I was skint and couldn't afford to finish my build the main reason I went brakeless is cause I thought it would make me look cool. I've seen other riders doing it who I admired and wanted to be like them and gain there respect but now after having a go I can see the reason behind it. I think everyone should have a go at riding brakeless, but not just for a day you have to give it a couple of weeks, and you don't have to be riding a 24 or a street bike just look at Flipp. He can do more on a mod without brakes than most of us can do on any bike with!